Skip to main content

Review: Casio Exilim ZR1200

This review is way overdue, I bought this camera for myself as a birthday present in January, been wanting to review but I keep forgetting about it! So here's the review of my most expensive purchase of all time, I don't usually buy branded items so most of the stuffs I own are below $50. I felt like I overspent and kept wanting to sell away this the moment I got it(that's before I tried the functions) but I'm glad I didn't! It's so fun playing with the different modes of this camera.

Many ladies own Casio TR series which I like too but it is really pricey, I'm glad they came out with ZR1200 which is 50% of the price and have some really cool features for a digital camera! When I first mentioned Casio to my friends, the first thing they said "oh, that watch brand? I didn't know they had cameras." Most people remember Casio as a watch brand and even I didn't know much about the brand until I goggled for cameras that are good for selfies or with flip screen. It took me a couple of weeks before finalizing on Casio, and the main reason for choosing this is the price being affordable as compared to most flip screen cameras out there.
Accessories that came with it includes adapter, usb cable, camera straps, casing and wifi sd card. The best part is the wifi sd card, allowing me to transfer any photos I like from the camera to the phone is just a few clicks! You don't need an app for this, can be accessed through Internet browser too!
Let's start with the appearance, the camera came in various colours (black, yellow, pink and white) but I went with white because I already had plans to use camera sticker to beautify my camera as I have been obsessed with decoden for a period of time, more about it in the later part of the post :)

This camera weighs 256grams which is much lighter than the previous camera my dad lent me, that was probably 800grams as it is a semi-dslr. Plus, the size is small for a 16.1-megapixel camera so it fits into my clutch easily, with spaces to spare for wallet, keys and phone.
The roll dial of the different settings at the top is similar to my old camera so I had no issues with the placement of the buttons, just that it did took me awhile to find out which button is for what purpose as there weren't any blog posts or detailed information on the usage of camera months ago. 
What's more, the 180 degrees tilt screen has high definition LCD display so it's easy to capture a selfie at any time. There is also a small stand underneath the screen that might help when you're taking pictures alone. But I find the angle to be unflattering so I haven't actually taken a proper picture with that.

Most of the time I use program mode as the other modes usually takes slightly longer to process and it can get quite annoying at times like when you're asking passersby for help or trying to capture a perfect shot before the object moves from its place. The program mode is more than sufficient to make pictures look good, here are some examples of pictures taken using program mode; no makeup level with auto settings.
Indoor settings with slightly dimmer lightings
Outdoor setting with bright natural light
Outdoor setting in the daytime

The anti-shake function did help to save alot of my pictures from being blurry as I don't have a steady hand. Look at this photo I took at Singapore Zoo on my birthday, all I used was program mode plus zoom in. It is pretty clear for a animal that is pacing around its premises.
Indoor setting in the daytime

That's not all, this camera also have a wave function together with the 180 degrees tilt screen so you can set your camera anywhere to take a proper picture of yourself. The wave function doesn't always work, sometimes it will refuse to take(perhaps sensor problems) but when it works, it's so much easier than getting someone to take a picture for me. Pictures above are all taken with program mode with natural or existing lighting so no additional lighting equipment or touch ups or colour correcting done, the quality of pictures is good for a beginner user like me.
Indoor setting in the daytime, makeup level 2.
Like I mentioned earlier, I don't usually use the modes but I have to say the makeup mode is really useful if you don't want to spend time using photoshop, pictures taken usually looks picture perfect and there's no need for extra work before posting to Facebook or Instagram!

One thing I dislike about this camera will be it heating up easily. If you use the various modes, the battery heats up even faster, usually 30 minutes into picture taking it will be hot and I have to stop to let it rest for awhile. Not sure if my battery is faulty or this series of cameras are like that.
Moving on, here's the camera sticker I bought for my camera, there were too many choices to choose from and I ended up choosing Hello Kitty design. Many actually thought my camera was limited edition version! I bought this from Taobao for about $5, I couldn't emphasize more on how easy and affordable it is to get stuffs from Taobao! Even my camera case is from there :p
It is easy to stick, didn't take me long to get it done. The sticker's quality is good, I have been using it for about 6-7 months now and it is still pretty much the same when I first stick them on. I will probably have to wait till next year before I change to my next set of floral camera sticker. It is just the overlapping parts that may not look as good because the printing and cutting of sticker isn't exactly like fitting in puzzle pieces. It doesn't really affect the overall outlook though and further more it helps to protect my camera from getting scratches.
Ending off with a picture of my cute camera and the pretty pink case that I bought from Taobao too! This whole set actually cost me less than $500 :)

Casio Exilim ZR1200 $460
Camera Sticker $5
Camera Case $10
= $475 (January 2014)

Overall, it is a great camera to use, fun to explore the various modes and I will use this in Seoul to take more great photos using the various modes, do keep checking back! :)
thatrandomgirlįƒ¦

Comments

  1. WHR did u buy the camera? So cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I got it from Alan Photo Trading :)

      Delete
  2. Ahh thanks for mentioning the camera sticker! It's so cute, I didn't even know they existed.. now I HAVE to get one! I just bought the new ZR-1500, can't wait to test it out. Btw the photos you uploaded look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Hope to see your review on your new camera too! :)
      Thanks for the compliment btw ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review & Guide: Owndays Singapore

If you've been to Korea or Japan, you might have heard of getting a pair of spectacles done within the same day or even within minutes! Based on reviews I found online and through friends, it can cost less than $100 for a pair and I have been tempted to get mine done there ever since.

Earlier last year, Owndays decided to expand and opened its first shop in Singapore. To many, it was a relatively new concept to get spectacles within the same day but to me, it's like finally, I have a chance to experience it without having to travel!

A basic introduction to those who are not familiar with the store. Owndays is a brand from Japan that offers all-in-one price (frame + 1.6 high index aspheric lenses) at $98-$198. With 1,500 styles to choose from and processing time of 20 minutes, you can not only find a pair of spectacles to correct your vision but also change them according to different occasions.
(Picture credit to Owndays Singapore)
I love their open concept. Unlike most optical…

Review: Owndays PC (Blue Shield) Lenses

A few months ago, I posted a guide & review on Owndays Singapore and mentioned that I would like to get PC lenses with them as well as do a pair of eye glasses in Korea/Japan and I did both! Now I have 3 pairs of spectacles which is alittle too much. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about not being able to see if I were to lose one pair of spectacles!  Today I'll be reviewing on their PC aka blue shield lenses. They seemed to be emphasizing more on this type of lens lately and I didn't find a review on this so I decided to be the first to start. Owndays PC lenses come with a slight tinted brown colour and blue coating. The purpose of these lenses is to cut down a certain amount of blue light that is being emitted from electronic devices such as computer, mobile phones, TV, etc.  (Picture credited to Owndays Singapore)
You might be wondering, what is blue light and why do we emphasis so much on it now? Blue light is a type of light that is blue in colour(like duh.…

Recommended Taobao Sellers

Hi everyone! I've compiled a list of recommended Taobao sellers from friends and various online platforms so if you have any sites to recommend, do leave a comment below! Sharing is caring :)

Don't know how to buy from Taobao? Read the tutorial here, or if you need an agent, you can join my spree here! It is quite expensive when I order alone! Should you require more information on anything related to Taobao, feel free to email me at that-randomgirl@hotmail.com, I'll try my best to answer your questions :)
*Updated November 2013

Clothes
Japanese/Korean Style
1. http://shop35086637.taobao.com/ Seller Rating: 4.7-4.8
2. http://shop36299960.taobao.com/ Seller Rating: 4.6-4.8

Casual Style
1. http://magic-g.taobao.com/ Seller Rating: 4.6-4.7
2. http://shop35306685.taobao.com/ Seller Rating: 4.7-4.8
3. http://shop57873530.taobao.com Seller Rating: 4.6-4.7
4. http://shop59411499.taobao.com/ Seller Rating: 4.6-4.7
5. http://1912911.taobao.com/ Seller Rating: 4.6-4.7
6. http://loveh…